National Union of Ghana Students presents petition to Parliament


Concerning plans to limit the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund), the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) has submitted a petition to Parliament.

Before presenting the petition to the Education Committee of the House, the petitioners—led by NUGS President Mr. Dennis Appiah Larbi Ampofo—protested with placards in front of the ceremonial gate of Parliament.

To make funds available for education, Mr. Ampofo demanded that Parliament decapitate the GETFund. Additionally, he mentioned a decline in education sector funding in recent years.

The Hon. Chairman of the Education Committee, Hon. Kwabena Amankwa Asiamah received the petition.

The petitioners were reassured by the ranking member, Peter Nortsu-Kotoe, that the committee would do everything in its power to ensure that the funds would be used for national education and that the GETfund would be uncapped.

Civil Society Organizations, led by Africa Education Watch, joined the union. The NUGS asks the Ministry of Finance to stop using the GETFUND formula this year because “only 39% of GETFUND levy will be allocated to the fund with the remaining 61% diverted into other areas,” according to the NUGS.

NUGS is a democratic, non-partisan, and progressive mass movement of Ghanaian and international students whose primary objective is to safeguard the interests of all Ghanaian students.

The union is committed to promoting efforts to instill a high level of nationalism and patriotism in students in order to adequately prepare them for our nation’s future.