Arise Ghana Demo: Leadership Secure Bail For 29 Protestors Who Were Arrested


The leadership of Arise Ghana says they have secured a Police Enquiry bail for all 29 arrested demonstrators at CID headquarters in the early hours of Thursday.

The police arrested 29 Arise Ghana demonstrators for their alleged involvement in a violent clash with Police during day one of the two-day protest.

A statement from the police said video footage of the event was being reviewed and that all other persons identified for taking part in the attacks and inciting violence would be arrested and made to face justice.

It said organisers of the demonstration would also be arrested and put before court for the attacks and damage to public property in line with the provisions of Section 3 of the Public Order Act, (Act 491).

The leadership of the Arise Ghana movement on the other hand accused the Ghana Police Service of planting people to pose as protestors and cause mayhem during the Krom AyƐ Hye demonstration.

At a press conference after Tuesday’s protest, a member of the coalition, Rex Omar said “one of the things we found out later is that a gentleman, who was with the police but had dressed as a demonstrator, was the first to pelt stones at the police, in the bid to instigate a reaction from them.”

He noted that members of the coalition are law-abiding and would not do anything to compromise the peace the country enjoys.

“Our members are very peaceful, we hoped that this would happen in a very cordial manner. We never planned for this. That is why all through, we have engaged the police on reaching a consensus on our demonstration.”

Another member, who is also the National Communications Officer of the NDC, Sammy Gyamfi said the police’s response to the development was only a ploy to discredit the coalition.

“The Police’s response was only a PR gimmick. They sought to paint us as violent members of society. If we had any such intentions to cause mayhem, we would not have given police 20-days’ notice.”

The police had been insisting on enforcing the orders of the high court for the protestors to move through Farisco through TUC to the Independence Square, but the organizers of the protest insisted that they would use another route, which reportedly led to a confrontation between the two sides.