The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has taken over investigations into the suspected food poisoning at Accra High School.
On Tuesday, some 35 students were admitted at the Adabraka Polyclinic for complaining of stomach discomfort after eating food served by the school. Doctors at the facility after a series of laboratory tests concluded that food poisoning was the cause of the students’ condition.
Thirty of the admitted students were treated and discharged on Wednesday while the remaining five are responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, preliminary findings by the FDA reveal that the affected students consumed Kenkey, fish and fresh pepper sauce prepared under the school feeding programme at the school, which they suspect could be the causative diet.
Speaking on Newsnite with Evans Mensah on Wednesday, Head of Food Safety Management at the FDA, Jocelyn Adeline Amusah said “we have been to the school and we are continuing with our investigations. We will continue tomorrow [Thursday] to find out more about the source to get to the bottom of it.”